Me

Me
the aspiring craftster

Creating Keepsake Crafts

Creating Keepsake Crafts
for imbibing memories

Finding Inspiration

Finding Inspiration
in anything and everything

Imagi- & Determi- nation

Imagi- & Determi- nation
I didn't fail 100 times to make that flower, but found 100 ways how not to make that flower

Keepsake Crafts

Monday, September 27, 2010

I've been crocheting since I was a little girl. My mother taught me.

I remember we had a How-to-Crochet book showing the basic stitches, so well used that the cover had detached from the book. Then there were a few old pattern books for scarfs, dresses and tablecloths. I could hardly find a modern enough pattern to use that I ended up creating my own bags and pouches, making up the pattern as I went along.

I gave it up for awhile and my crochet needles went missing after I started working. A busy career girl doesn't have time for that.

Now I've wandered off the rat race and rediscovered the joys of creating with my hands. I've never been very good at it (I'm not being humble, just painfully realistic about my limitations) and mostly end up reworking the pattern. It never ends up how I imagine in my head. But I try. Now that Internet is a common tool in my country (as compared to when I was a wee girl), I browse all the pretty, creative things that talented 'craftsters' create from their imagination. I'm jealous. I wonder if they have to redo their creation again and again like I do, or it just pops out from their head into their hands. I hope it's the former.

But I tell myself that if I'm not born with the skill, I can hone it. I didn't fail 100 times in making that Chrysanthemum flower (seriously), but I found 100 ways how not to make it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·Keepsake Craft by TNB